REVIEWS: DOGTOPIA- Chantilly, VA

My husband and I had just moved to Northern VA and we were looking for a place that did dog day care and boarding. To make myself clear, I was only looking for a place to take my big, 18 month, 80lb, boy where he could just play, play, play, eat, sleep, and play play play! Nothing special. DOGTOPIA in Chantilly seemed great for us because of the location... until I went there. When I first walked in, a lady walked in from the back and just took the leash from me. She didn't introduce herself or anything. Then when I said I wanted to watch the evaluation they wouldn't allow that. But once I pushed for it, they allowed me to watch on camera from a separate room. As I was watching, the front desk girl told me about the owners. Apparently the lady who had just taken my dog was the owner. She and her business partner (the man in the evaluation room who I hadn't yet met) had not worked with dogs or animals before becoming owners and this just opened franchise. Supposedly their careers were at AOL until this summer of 2008. To make a long story short, as I was watching the evaluation a puppy was let into the room. My big dog loves all things with legs and has never had any problem in any of the day cares, boarding, pet stores, dog parks, or obedience classes he has belonged to. I watched as my big goof got excited and sniffed and pawed the puppy. The puppy was wiggling and squirming and appeared to be equally goofy and excited. Instead of giving any commands of  'Gentle', 'Nice' or 'Easy', the male business owner kicked my dog in the side. Now it wasn't a violent kick, but it was a kick non the less. My dog was fine but I on the other hand was livid! I certainly wasn't imaging things and when the male business partner came out, I asked him what on earth he was doing. He softly said that he was trying to get my dog to go 'easy' with his new friend ... All it takes is a simple command to reminded my big dog that he had to be gentle. 

People like this shouldn't be allowed to be around animals. Don't give DOGTOPIA in Chantilly a chance to give your dog a kickin'.  

2 comments:

Nicole said...

Dogtopia is the last place I would take my dogs. The staff is extremely rude, including the owners. The dogs are not treated well at all. When a dog is sick, the owner's of the dog are never notified. Most dogs spend all day in crates, which you are not able to see on their webcams. The female daytime supervisor, Michelle, spends more time outside smoking than anything else.

EricaG said...

Thank you so much for your reviews!!! I am looking for a place, and I found this extremely helpful!